September 28, 2012 | Leave a comment Day 20 – Friday, September 28, 2012 Is it Friday again already? Well shite, time flies, doesn’t it? A quick warning, no visual goodies for today’s post. Instead of drawing, I revised my question formulation slightly. In fact, I revised most of the planning document. With these modifications, instead of doing audience tests for my drawings (which I found to be very awkward and difficult to get varied results from), I will evaluate each method that I’ve used for drawing. So, after I was finished with turning in the new version of my plan, I started editing all the documents for my assignments to include the method evaluation part of the process. I’ve been evaluating whether or not the methods have been effective enough time-wise, while yielding results that I’m satisfied with. I’ve also evaluated my level of motivation for all the assignments I’ve done, as I find it is an important part of the process. A good and maintained level of motivation often shows in the final product. Other than editing documents, I also made presentations for my sketches that I’m going to use during the exam next friday. They contain the assignment/idea for each session, the different steps of the process including the final picture and the evaluation of the method used. So, let’s get to the weekly reflection list. There won’t be so much this week, as I’ve mostly just been applying the things I’ve learned and observed during the previous weeks. I’ve learned that using other tools in cooperation with Photoshop can yield more varied results. I am, of course, talking about Alchemy. I found that through using Alchemy for the sketching part, there was a separation between the steps that was much more distinct. It might not make a lot of sense, but what I mean is that when using Alchemy for the experimental sketching step and then carrying it over for touch-up in Photoshop made it seem less like I was doing the same thing the whole time. Variety is always nice, so I’ll keep my eyes open for other such programs (or methods of using Alchemy, works too!) I found that doing audience tests where I would pit concept art against textual descriptions was very difficult to perform. Pictures and words speak languages that are wildly different from one another, yet still we are fluently familiar with both. As such, I decided, as I mentioned above, to instead evaluate the efficiency of each method. I felt that this was much more relevant, since this was a sort of introductory course to concept art for me. Learning and getting familiar with the wonderful world of concept art was much more important to me than comparing things. Especially since I feel that I am not at all familiar enough with the phenomenon to criticize its value in terms of communication. It’s been a great few weeks. Shaping up my own, personalized courses in this way proved to be a bit tricky at first, but as I got a clearer understanding of what was expected of me as a student, I took to the challenge. Hopefully I’ll come out of it not just with a passing grade, but also keeping all the things I’ve learned and evolving them. I’ll document the following blocks the same way I did during this, so the site will be filled with observations, pictures and reflections on what I learn for the next half year. It’s not set in stone what I’ll study just yet, but I’d expect there to be some stuff regarding level design and storytelling, at the very least. That’s about it for this week. There won’t be a whole lot more for this block actually, since I need to turn in all of the stuff I made during the block next Tuesday. Monday’ll probably be spent on polishing up the presentations and organizing all the sketches for the sake of making things easier for the tutors to examine. Until next time, stay safe and keep learning. Marcus out.